World Read Aloud Day 2023 is just around the corner! This year’s annual celebration will be on February 1 and is brought to us by LitWorld and Scholastic. On World Read Aloud Day, authors and illustrators celebrate the power of reading aloud by volunteering their time to read to children around the world via Zoom!
I learned about World Read Aloud Day from author Kate Messner who is coordinating author and illustrator volunteers who are traditionally published. To check out that list, visit Kate’s website! (Also, shout-out to Kate Messner because she already figured out this whole process & I’m 100% copying her–THANK YOU, KATE! )
Here’s Kate’s description of what a WRAD visit looks like:
WRAD VISITS AREN’T LONG OR FANCY PRESENTATIONS. USUALLY, THEY LAST 10-15 MINUTES AND GO SOMETHING LIKE THIS:
– 1-2 minutes: Author gives a quick introduction & talks a little about their books.
– 3-5 minutes: Author reads aloud a short picture book, or a short excerpt from a chapter book/novel
– 5-10 minutes: Author answers a few questions from students about reading/writing
– 1-2 minutes: Author book-talks a couple books they love (but didn’t write!) as recommendations for the kids
I’m so happy to be coordinating the self-published authors and illustrators who are volunteering their services to read on WRAD 2023! I know there are some amazing authors and stories on this list, and I hope they all get a chance participate in WRAD this year!
TEACHERS & LIBRARIANS, here’s how to connect with an author or illustrator to Zoom with your classroom or library on World Read Aloud Day:
- Check out this List of Self-Published Authors & Illustrators, and visit their websites to see which ones might be a good fit for your students.
- Contact the author directly by using the email provided or clicking on the link to their website and finding the contact form. Please be sure to provide the following information in your request:
- Your name and what grade(s) you work with
- Your city and time zone (this is important for scheduling!)
- Possible times to connect on February 1st. Please note authors’ availability and time zones. Adjust accordingly if yours is different!
- Your preferred platform (Zoom, Google Meet, etc.)
- A phone number where you can be reached on that day in case of technical issues
- Please understand that not all authors will be available at all times. It may take a few tries before you find someone whose books and schedule fit with yours!
IF YOU ARE A SELF-PUBLISHED AUTHOR OR ILLUSTRATOR WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE ADDED TO THE LIST, fill out this form to sign up: SIGN UP: World Read Aloud Day 2/1/23 – Call for Self-Published Author Volunteers
VOLUNTEERS, once your schedule is full, please send an email & I’ll remove your name from the list as soon as possible.
Have fun, everyone!